Literature is one of the most popular subjects in the Nigerian education system, it is also a must subject for art students in Nigerian secondary Schools. Some art students find it very easy to learn and understand literature while some students see this subject as a nightmare and therefore look for ways to escape it in the future.
Most of the courses of study offered by the Faculty of Arts and Humanities have Literature as one of the required subjects for admission. This means that a prospective student must have a credit or a high grade in literature in English in their O- level Certificate (NECO, WAEC or GCE).
Some art students find themselves with an F9 (fail) in Literature-in-English on their O-level certificates and are at a loss of what course to study with a fail in Literature-in-English. Having an F in literature is seen as a huge problem for an art student who wants to further his/her education at the university level.
Are you an art student who is searching for an arts course that does not require literature? Our search is over as this article contains a carefully curated list of courses you can study without a credit in literature. This writer hopes that this article will be helpful in your search.
Reasons Students choose to pursue courses that do not require Literature
Let us do a little analysis of why students search for courses that do not require Literature-in-English. Below are the reasons why people seek to study courses that do not require them to have a credit in Literature-In-English.
- Some students did not include Literature-in-English in their JAMB subjects (They did not write literature in JAMB)
- Some students failed Literature-in-English in their O-level examinations (GCE, WAEC, NECO)
- Some students do not understand Literature-In-English so they have no desire to encounter it in the university.
Courses that absolutely requires Literature-in-English
- Mass communication
- Theater and film study
- Foreign languages
- Linguistics (major)
Courses you can study without Literature-in-English
- Arabic Language
- Arabic studies
- Christian Religious Studies
- Comparative Religious Studies
- Creative and visual arts
- Environmental Science
- Fine and Applied Arts
- History and Archaeology
- History and diplomacy
- History and diplomatic studies
- History and international studies
- History and strategic studies
- International and Comparative Politics
- International Relations and diplomacy
- International studies and diplomacy
- Islamic Studies
- Philosophy and Religious studies
- Political Science
- Religious study
- Sociology and Anthropology
- Visual and Applied Arts
- Yoruba and Communication Art
- History and International Relations
Above is a carefully compiled list of courses you can study without Literature-in-English. Please note that the requirements for each of these courses depends on the university, please consult each university’s brochure to be sure they offer these courses without Literature-In-English.