There are numerous requirements associated with the JAMB Subject Combination for Sociology. So, it’s critical that you are aware of every single standard specified by each institution in order to apply easily and improve your chances of admission to any Nigerian university.
Before registering for the JAMB-UTME, NECO, or NABTEB or applying for admission, it is crucial to have a foreknowledge of the approved and correct JAMB Subject Combination for Sociology 2022/2023 and WAEC subjects for Sociology. This will help you avoid selecting the incorrect subject combination and avoid making a mistake.
In this article, we will quickly go through the O’level requirements for Sociology, the four (4) required subjects for Sociology in Nigeria, and the accepted and correct JAMB Subject Combination For Sociology 2022 for all schools in Nigeria.
You will also learn the major sociology subject, and the required sociology subjects for the federal, state, and private colleges in Nigeria.
But let’s define the concept of sociology in a broad sense. Sociology is the scientific study of society, including patterns of social relationships, social interaction, and culture. In simple terms, Sociology can be defined as the development, structure, and functioning of human society.
Requirements to Study Sociology in Nigeria
1. For a start, you need to have at least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC or NECO) including English and Mathematics not more than two (2) sittings before you can study Sociology in Nigeria. However, some schools required one sitting.
2. You must have reached the AGE of sixteen (16) by the 31st day of October in the year of admission.
3. Meet your school cut-off mark for Sociology.
4. Have a good JAMB, WAEC, and Post UTME Score if any.
If you have the intention of studying sociology as a course in any higher institution, then you must receive a minimum of five (5) credit passes in the prerequisite subjects, which are stated below, on your SSCE.
2. English Language
3. Civic Education
5. Literature In English
9. Any Other Subjects
Jamb Subject Combination for Sociology
The Jamb subject combination necessary for the study of sociology in any Nigerian higher institution is as follows;
1. Use of English
It is also worth noting that there are other requirements for students with Direct Entry who wish to study sociology at any well-recognized university.
1. A minimum of 5 credits in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE/GCE) Ordinary Level Credits in a maximum of two (2) sittings.
2. Degree (First Class/Second Class Upper) in related fields.
3. Direct entry candidates are required to purchase the Direct Entry form through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
4. A minimum of Merit Pass in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), and other Advanced Level Certificates.
5. Other qualifications acceptable to the Senate of your University of choice, and being equivalent to (1) and (4) above. In addition to the above minimum admission requirements, candidates must also satisfy such Faculty/Departmental entry requirements.
Universities in Nigeria Offering Sociology
Moreover, sociology is offered in the Faculty/School/College of Social and Management Studies, which confers a Bachelor of Science degree. B.Sc. (Hons) from one of the following universities:
- Achievers University (OWO)
- Abia State University Uturu (ABSU)
- Ado Bayero University, Kano
- Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba (AAUA)
- Afe Babaola University, ADO-EKITI (ABUAD)
- Ahmadu Bello University, Kaduna (ABU)
- Ambrose Ali University, Ekopma (AAUA)
- AL-QALAM UNIVERSITY, Kastina
- Bauchi State University (BASU)
- Benue State University, Makurdi (BSU)
- Bowen University, IWO
- Bingham University, Nasarawa
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chukuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (Coouu)
- Covenant University, Ota
- Crawford University, Igbesa
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Eastern University ORLU (EPU)
- Edo State University, Iyamho
- Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
- Federal University-DUTSINMA
- Federal University-GUSAU
- Federal University-GASHUA
- Federal University-KEBBI
- Federal University-OYE EKITI
- Federal University-LAFIA
- Federal University-WUKARI
- Fountain University, OSOGBO
- Gombe State University
- Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu-Nike
- Gregory University, UTURU
- Hezekiah UniversityY, UMUDI, IMO
- Imo State University
- Joseph Ayodele Babalola University, IKEJI-ARAKEJI(JABU)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- University of Jos
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- Kwararafa University Wukari
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Lagos State University
- Landmark University, OMU ARAN
- Legacy University, OKIJA
- Lead City University, IBADAN
- Madonna University, OKIJA
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
- NnamdiAzikiwe University, Awka
- Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano
- Novena University, Ogume
- Obong University, Abak
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- OlabisiOnabanjo University
- Paul University, Awka
- Rhema University, Aba
- Redemma University EDE
- Ritman University- Ikot Ekpene
- Sokoto State University, Sokoto
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- University of Abuja
- University of Calabar, Calabar
- University of Port Harcourt
- University of Ibadan
- University of Mkar, GBOKO
- University of Ilorin (ILORIN)
- University of Lagos (LAGOS)
- Usman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto
- Umaru Musa Yar’dua University, Katsina (Umuky)
- Western-Delta University, OGHARA
- Yobe State University
A whole lot of universities in Nigeria, SOCIOLOGY is either offered as a single major in the Faculty/School/College of Arts leading to the degree of Bachelor of Arts or as a double major course in Sociology and Anthropology. The following is a list of colleges and universities that offer it as a double course:
1. COVENANT UNIVERSITY
2. EVANGEL UNIVERSITY, EBONYI
3. FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-NDUFU
4. FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-OTUOKE
5. FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-KASHERE
6. PLATEAU STATE UNIVERSITY, BOKKOS
7. SALEM UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA
While you are here, we strongly recommend that you take your time and digest this piece alongside setting your mind open for other related information concerning sociology as a course of study in other to utilize this opportunity in the future to come. Sociologists are capable of functioning very well in the following areas of community service after graduation.
1. Advocacy, childcare.
2. Community development.
3. Non-profit agencies.
4. Environmental groups, and urban planning.
6. Administrative support.
7. Career counselor and teacher.
8. Function in administration.
9. Case management.
10. Recreation and rehabilitation.
11. Elderly & youth services.
Sociologists can as well function in business areas such as
1. Consumer research.
4. Public relations, and media.
5. Human resources.
In the area of health, Sociologists can function as;
1. Family planner,
2. Insurance providers,
3. Hospital admissions
4. Substance abuse education and also in rehabilitation counseling.
In the area of law, sociologists can function as;
1. Law investigation/enforcement.
4. Probation and parole administration.
When it comes to publishing content or materials, they can function as;
2. Professional writers.
That will be all for Jamb Subject Combination for Sociology in Nigeria. I hope this article was helpful to you. We urge you to always check back on more information that will be uploaded on a daily basis on this site.