Do you want to know what JAMB subjects combination is necessary for soil science? or the O’Level subject combination and entry requirements? If this is what you have been looking for, you are on the right site.
You will also find a list of Nigerian universities that offer Soil Science which is a subject area under the Faculty of Agriculture.
In this article, you will be shown everything you need to know about soil science, the jamb subject combination for soil science, the cut-off mark for soil science, requirements to study soil science in Nigeria, and places you can work with a degree in soil science.
Soil Science is the study of soil as a natural resource on the Earth’s surface, including its formation, classification, and mapping, as well as its physical, chemical, biological, and fertility properties and how these properties relate to how soils are used and managed.
The terms pedology (the formation, chemistry, morphology, and classification of the soil) and edaphology (the interaction of soils with living things, particularly plants), which refer to different branches of soil science, are sometimes used interchangeably with the term “soil science.”
The variety of names used to describe this field of study is connected to the various associations involved. Indeed, a wide range of professionals, including engineers, agronomists, chemists, geologists, physical geographers, ecologists, biologists, microbiologists, silviculturists, sanitarians, archaeologists, and regional planning experts, contribute to the advancement of the soil sciences and the further understanding of soils.
JAMB Subject Combination For Soil Science
Please be advised that the English Language is a requirement for all UTME courses and should be mentioned to candidates. The additional three (3) courses listed below are needed to complete a degree in soil science, which is a subject under the agricultural faculty.
1). Biology /Agriculture.
2). Physics or Mathematics.
Waec Subject Combination For Soil Science
Five (5) credit hours must be earned in each of the subjects required for soil science in WAEC. Additionally applicable to both the NECO and GCE, this subject combination. The combination of subjects that must be taken for Soil Science as part of the WAEC (O level requirement) must be:
1. English Language
4. Biology/Agricultural Science
5. Any other Science subject.
6. A trade subject
Note: Both the English language and mathematics are required for the Waec exam; however, only the English language is required for the Jamb exam. You can combine any three subjects of your choosing with English language to make four total.
Cut Off Mark For Soil Science
The university’s Soil Science and Technology department’s general cutoff score for JAMB is 160. This indicates that a minimum grade of 160 is required to enroll in a university’s soil science program.
You should be aware that this is a minimum cut-off mark for universities and not a fixed cut-off mark that JAMB will enforce at all universities. Therefore, candidates applying to study soil science and technology at universities where the JAMB cut-off mark is higher than the one mentioned above will not be accepted with such a score.
If you want to know the specific cutoff mark for each school where you can study soil science and technology, scroll down to the bottom of this page to see the list of schools and their cutoff scores. You can also look at universities that accept a cutoff score between 120 and 180.
Requirements To Study Soil Science In Nigeria
1. Prior to enrolling in a soil science program in Nigeria, you must first have earned at least 5 credits at the O’level level (WAEC or NECO), including English and Mathematics in no more than two (2) sittings. Some schools, though, mandated a single sitting.
2. By the last day of October of the admissions year, you must have reached the age of sixteen (16).
3. Get the required grade in soil science from your school.
4. Have strong results from JAMB, WAEC, and any post-UTME exams.
Direct Entry Requirements To Study Soil Science In Nigeria
1. Five (5) or more credits at the Ordinary Level in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE/GCE) in no more than two (2) sittings.
2. Degree in a related field, First/Second Class Upper
3. The Direct Entry form must be purchased by direct entry candidates from the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
4. an Advanced Level Certificate with a minimum Merit Pass in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), or other applicable Advanced Level Certificate.
5. Any additional qualifications that are equivalent to (1) and (4) above and are acceptable to the Senate of the university of your choice. Candidates must meet such Faculty/Departmental entry requirements in addition to the aforementioned minimum admission requirements.
List Of All Institutions Offering Soil Science
1. Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (AAU)
2. Abia State University, Uturu (ABSU)
3. Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot Akpaden (AKSU)
4. University of Benin (UNIBEN)
5. University of Calabar (UNICAL)
6. Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (COOU)
7. Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
8. Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
9. The Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)
10. The Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTECH)
11. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
12. Rivers State University (RSU)
13. Salem University, Lokoja Kogi State
14. The Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU)
15. University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
16. University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
Places You Can Work With A Degree in Soil Science
- Agriculture Business Sales Manager
- Agriculture Finance Advisor (banking)
- Agriculture Extension Worker (County Agent)
- Consulting Soil Scientist
- Commodities Market Consultant
- Crop Management Consultant
- Data Analyst (State Department of Agriculture)
- Environmental Consultant
- Environmental Lawyer
- Integrated Pest Management Specialist
- Land Management Contractor
- Research Laboratory Technician
- Soil and Water Conservationist (Natural Resource Conservation Service).