The word “Mono” means “One”, from the word Monotechnic, one can surmise that a Monotechnic is an institution that offers training in “one” area of specialization. It can otherwise be defined as an institution that trains students in a specific technical subject/discipline.
A Monotechnic is different from a polytechnic in the sense that a polytechnic is an institution that offers multiple disciplines below degree level in vocational courses.
In essence, a Monotechnic is a higher institution that offers vocational training in a particular discipline, and it was accredited to offer training in a particular discipline. It typically takes two or three years to complete studies in a Monotechnic; degrees awarded in Monotechnics are diplomas.
There are several Monotechnics spread across the 36 states of Nigeria, but our main focus in this article is the accredited ones. Attending an unaccredited school will pose problems as whatever certificates are obtained by an individual may not be honored by potential employers.
Before choosing a Monotechnic, one must be on the lookout for the accreditation status of whatever Monotechnic they choose to attend. For these institutions to be deemed safe to attend, the institution must hold accreditation from National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).
Are you a student thinking of attending a mono technic in Nigeria? The first step to take is to look for approved Monotechnics so that your certificate will not go to waste. Below is a list of approved Monotechnics in Nigeria.
List of Approved Monotechnics in Nigeria
Approved Federal Monotechnics in Nigeria
- Air Force Institute of Technology, NAF, Mando, Kaduna.
- Federal College of Chemical & Leather Technology, Zaria, Kaduna State
- Federal Cooperative College, Abuja
- Federal Cooperative College Ibadan, Oyo State.
- Federal Cooperative College Kaduna.
- Federal Cooperative College, Oji River, Enugu State
- Federal College of Statistics, Enugu
- Federal College of Statistics, Ibadan, Oyo State
- Federal College of Statistics, Kaduna
- Federal School of Mines, Jos, Plateau State.
- Federal School of Survey, Oyo.
- Federal Training Centre, Calabar
- Federal Training Centre, Enugu
- Federal Training Centre, Kaduna
- Federal Training Centre, Maiduguri
- Institute of Administration, ABU. Zaria
- Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron, Akwa Ibom State.
- Metallurgical Training Institute, Onitsha, Anambra State.
- National Water Resources Institute, Mando, Kaduna.
- Nigerian Army School of Engineering, Makurdi, Benue State.
- Nigerian Army School of Finance, Administration, Apapa, Lagos State.
- Nigerian Army School of Signals Apapa, Lagos State.
- Nigerian Naval Engineering College, Sapele, Delta State.
- NITEL Training School, Oshodi, Lagos State.
- Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun, Delta State.
List of Approved Private Monotechnics in Nigeria
- Nigerian Institute of Journalism (NIJ), Lagos State
- Wavecrest College of Catering, Surulere-Lagos
List of Approved State Monotechnics in Nigeria
- College of Administration and Business Studies, Konduga, Borno State.
- College of Administration and Business Studies, Potiskum, Yobe State.