Public health as a course has always acted as an alternative for students who do not want to study nursing. In order to apply for admission to various universities that offer public health, you may want to look into their UTME and DE requirements as you prepare to write the exams.
Most students prefer pursuing a degree in Public health at a university rather than enrolling in a polytechnic or college of education.
So if you are among those who prefer enrolling in a university, then you will find a list of public health programs offered at federal, state, and private universities in Nigeria.
You will also receive guidance regarding the SSCE/O’level subjects that are required of you as well as the proper four subjects that you must sit for during the UTME. In a similar vein, the Direct Entry candidates will be shown the grades and courses needed from their prior institutions/qualifications if they are to be given consideration for 200-level admissions into Public Health.
Public health is still a relatively new field, and only a few universities provide undergraduate public health programs in Nigeria. Prior to now, medical postgraduate colleges, community health centers, and nursing schools were the primary locations for basic public health education, particularly in community and environmental health.
Microbiology and other para-medical fields like medical laboratory science have always included public health education and courses in their curricula.
However, It is only a major discipline offered at a select few schools. As public health education becomes a higher priority, more schools are joining the battle in Nigeria. In this article, we’ve provided a list of Nigeria’s top colleges and universities that offer public health courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
JAMB Subject Combination for Public Health
In Nigerian universities, public health is a topic taught by the faculty of medicine, pharmacy, and health sciences.
1. Use of English
Cut Off Mark for Public Health
If a student receives a score below this one on the JAMB exam, they will not be admitted to any Nigerian universities unless they look into other admissions options.
This Cut off-mark has been assigned as follows for Universities, Polytechnics, and Colleges of Education
|INSTITUTIONS||CUT OFF MARK|
|Universities (Federal, State, and Private)||160|
|Colleges Of Education||100|
General JAMB Direct Entry (DE) Requirements for Public Health Admission
In light of this, JAMB mandates that any institution that offers a public health program accept applicants who possess any of the following credentials or marks:
1. ‘A’ Level passes in any two (2) of the following: mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology
2. Upper-Division Credit in Orthopaedic and Prosthetic Technology.
3. Additionally, you need three (3) other ‘O’ Level credit passes in Mathematics, Physics, and English Language in addition to two (2) ‘A’ Level passes in Biology/Zoology, Chemistry, and Physics.
4. NRN or an approved substitute, plus five (5) credit passes at the ‘O’ Level in English Language and four (4) subjects from the list of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Anatomy, Physiology and Hygiene, Health Science, Further Mathematics, and General Science.
General JAMB UTME (100 level) Requirements for Public Health Admissions
However, SSCE holders who want to enroll in a public health program at an institution must:
1. possess at least five SSCE/O’level credit passes, including English Language, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biology.
2. Have at least five (5) SSCE credits, including English Language, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biology, at the SSCE/O level.
Specific Direct Entry Requirements By Each University Offering Public Health
These are the standard prerequisites for admissions for UTME and Direct Entry applicants, as was previously stated. Except if any of these conditions are still unmet. Your proposed institution should offer you admission if you meet those requirements.
However, a university specifies its requirements, which may be more or less than those listed under general requirements by JAMB. Let’s get right into them.
Specific Requirements for Public Health Admissions Seekers Through Direct Entry
1. At least two out of the following four subjects—Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics—must be passed at the ‘A’ level or higher.
2. ND/HND in prosthetics and orthotics at the Upper Credit level.
3. Health sciences undergraduate degree.
4. Extremely strong passing grades in the three JUPEB subjects of chemistry, biology, and physics. NCE is not acknowledged. Furthermore, candidates must fulfill the ‘O’ Level requirements.
List of Universities That Offer Public Health (and Technology) in Nigeria
At present, below is the list of 27 universities that offer Public Health (Technology):
- Abia State University Uturu (ABSU), Abia State
- Afe Babalola University (ABUAD), Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- l-Hikmah University (AL-HIKMAH), Ilorin, Kwara State
- Arthur Javis University (ARTHUR-JARVIS) Akpabuyo, Calabar, Cross River State
- Adeleke University, Ede (AUE), Osun State
- Bauchi State University (BASU) Gadau, Bauchi State
- Bingham University (BINGHAM), New Karu, Abuja
- Bowen University (BOWEN) Iwo, Osun State
- Evangel University (EVANGEL), Akaeze Ebonyi State
- Gregory University (GREGORY), Uturu, Abia State
- Imo State University (IMSU) Owerri, Imo State
- Kwara State University (KWASU) Malete, Kwara State
- Lead City University (LCITY), Ibadan Oyo State
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Zamfara State University (ZAMFARA) Talata Mafara Zamfara State
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ) Taraba State
- Chrisland University (CHRISLAND) Abeokuta, Ogun State
- Baze University (BAZE), Cadastral Zone, Abuja
- Achievers University (ACHIEVERS), Owo, Ondo State
- Fountain University (FOUNTAIN), Osogbo, Osun State
- Atiba University (ATIBA), Isokun, Oyo, Oyo State
- Babcock University (BABCOCK) Ilishan Remo, Ogun State
- University of Calabar (UNICAL) Calabar, Cross River State
- The Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) Imo State
- Madonna University (MADONNA) Okija Anambra State
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN) Osogbo, Osun State
- Federal College of Dental Technology and Therapy (FCDTT-FUTO) Enugu, Enugu State
- Dagama’S College Of Health Science And Tech. Sabon Gari, Zaria, Kaduna State
- Wellspring University, Irhihi-Ogbaneki, Benin City, Edo State.
Those are the universities in Nigeria where you can study public health technology at the moment. This page will be updated as new universities are approved.
There has never been a better time to study public health technology. Best wishes for your endeavors. We hope you enjoyed this information.